March 19 2021
From April 15-16, The National Latinx Conference on HIV will return as a first-time virtual conference. With an anticipated virtual attendance of more than 1,000 participants from around the country, this conference is considered one of the leading, Latinx focused events in the HIV and STD healthcare industry.
What is the National Latinx Conference?
The National Latinx Conference on HIV/HCV/SUD aims to create opportunities to share information and efforts around health disparities that negatively impact the Latinx population such as Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis C (HCV) and Substance Use Disorder (SUD), by bridging the varied disciplines of education, advocacy, and clinical care. Thus, creating better health outcomes for the Latinx population.
Who Should Attend the National Latinx Conference?
The National Latinx Conference covers a wide variety of topics that pertain primarily to the education, care and treatment of Latinx populations who are at risk of contracting HIV or STDs.
Attendees typically fall under one or more of the categories below:
- Providers in care related to HIV, STDs, reproductive health, hepatitis, disease prevention, and health promotion
- Primary and public health care providers
- Clinical prescribers: physicians, advance practice nurses, physician assistants, pharmacists
- Nurses, social workers, counselors
- Mental health and substance use care providers
- Outreach workers, case managers, patient navigators
- Researchers exploring epidemiology, community, psychosocial, and physical aspects of sexual health
- Health and Health Policy Advocates
Why is there a conference for Latinx?
Highlighting health disparities and vulnerabilities in the Latinx population can be a difficult topic to discuss but is imperative to identify and address health inequity in the United States. The Latinx conference aims to help attendees advance their knowledge and understanding of the Latinx communities that they work with as well as discuss important advances and changes in the fight to End the Epidemic.
Attendees of The National Latinx Conference can expect to:
- Increase knowledge, communication skills and respectful attitudes towards the Latinx community and those living with HIV, HCV or SUD.
- Increase awareness of the cultural and social barriers faced by the Latinx population in seeking/receiving treatment, care, and prevention services for HIV, HCV and SUD.
- Increase understanding of the disproportionate impact that HIV, HCV and SUD has among Latinx communities.
- Increase ability to develop culturally tailored medical practices and interventions that support Latinx patients in achieving a better understanding of their health and their care.
- Increase capacity of organizations to provide services that are both health equitable and health literate.
How does The Valley AIDS Council and HealthMerch Partnership Benefit the Latinx Conference and Community?
Community outreach and engagement with Latinx populations begins with having an understanding of the community you’re working with. Whether you’re looking at updating the language that you’re using or the language that it’s written in, HealthMerch can help. HealthMerch partners with conference like The National Latinx HIV Conference because we want to learn about how community health centers and community outreach specialists are connecting with their communities and to keep up with the latest news and challenges experienced in the field. Likewise, HealthMerch will be hosting a workshop for community outreach and fundraising specialists to share our best practices on product design, aligning your brand with your outreach, and showcasing case studies from clients who found success with our products.